thasdasdas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random K&B Updates & In-Team Quotes

+5
Synecdoche
The Dude
super7700
Hoop Thrower
AOE_Fan
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Random K&B Updates & In-Team Quotes Empty Random K&B Updates & In-Team Quotes

Post by AOE_Fan Mon 5 Aug 2013 - 20:32

This topic is dedicated for smaller updates, development notes, quessing games or anything else the K&B Team would like to share with you that isn't quite fitting for a Friday Update. I'll also post quotes from the team forums and although they might not be the very recent ones (don't want to reveal too much yet), they're sometimes quite awkward and funny facts.

This quote is back from the day when the regular unit names weren't completely decided and we voted for them. What do you think, did we choose the best ones? grinning 
- Spearman or Sergeant?
- Cavalry Archer or Horse Archer or Ranged Cavalry?
- Archer or Bowman?
AOE_Fan
AOE_Fan
K&B Leader
K&B Leader

Back to top Go down

Random K&B Updates & In-Team Quotes Empty Re: Random K&B Updates & In-Team Quotes

Post by Hoop Thrower Tue 6 Aug 2013 - 7:33

Didn't Pepp have a thread like this one already?

Now, if you truly want opinions on the unit names. Spearman or Sergeant mostly depends if the unit is just supposed to act like the pikeman (then it should be spearman) or should have a greater role than that (sergeant in that case).

In Cavalry Archer vs Horse Archer / Archer vs Bowman I believe it mostly depends on the feel of the civ.

I'd use Bowman and Horse Archer for a more nomadic and/or tribal civ, while using Cavalry Archer and Archer for civs that are based more around cities, that's just my opinion though.

Ranged Cavalry just sounds too general, not good for the name of an unit.
Hoop Thrower
Hoop Thrower
Modding Councillor
Modding Councillor

Back to top Go down

Random K&B Updates & In-Team Quotes Empty Re: Random K&B Updates & In-Team Quotes

Post by super7700 Tue 6 Aug 2013 - 16:15

What exactly was the function of sergeants in the medieval era? I have the idea that they were senior soldiers, but that is based on the modern definition so I may just be completely misguided. Also, I have seen pictures of medieval sergeants armed with axes, swords and crossbows as well as spears.
super7700
super7700
Edessan Auxilliary
Edessan Auxilliary

Back to top Go down

Post by AOE_Fan Tue 6 Aug 2013 - 19:04

I wasn't yet around when those names were discussed but yeah, Spearman sounds much better for a regular unit and it has a more defined purpose as well.

For me, Bowman sounds more English than nomadic/native, possibly due to Longbowmen... I agree with Hoop Thrower on the Ranged Cavalry although we have a unit in K&B called "Light Cavalry". Razz
AOE_Fan
AOE_Fan
K&B Leader
K&B Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed 7 Aug 2013 - 6:08

super7700 wrote:What exactly was the function of sergeants in the medieval era? I have the idea that they were senior soldiers, but that is based on the modern definition so I may just be completely misguided. Also, I have seen pictures of medieval sergeants armed with axes, swords and crossbows as well as spears.
If I recall correctly medieval sergeants (military ones at least, apparently their was also a government role) were a junior officer of sorts, much like the modern day meaning. Somewhere in between a knight and some regular. It would be inappropriate really to use them as spearmen because spearmen in K&B are a bit on the cheap side...

I'd agree with Hoop though on the fact that bowman and horse archer sound a bit nomadic, with cavalry archer and archer sounding more western.
The Dude
The Dude
Administrator
Administrator

http://knightsandbarbarians.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Synecdoche Wed 7 Aug 2013 - 10:07

Sergeants were professional soldiers who were not tied to the fealty of a particular lord, if I'm remembering my class correctly, often mercenaries. So they often were put in charge of training/directing small units of levied commoner troops or new additions to the mercenary band, which is why the term evolved to its current definition.
Synecdoche
Synecdoche
K&B Team Member
K&B Team Member

Back to top Go down

Post by super7700 Wed 7 Aug 2013 - 18:02

Thank you for the answers! So I agree that spearmen are more suitable, though it would be interesting if there were officer type units in the game.
super7700
super7700
Edessan Auxilliary
Edessan Auxilliary

Back to top Go down

Post by Pepp Mon 12 Aug 2013 - 17:26

Didn't Pepp have a thread like this one already?
That is j.u.s.t. f.o.r. m.e.

I like the new thread, by the way, as it will keep the main Friday Update clean (and take off other people's hand from my thread).
Pepp
Pepp

Back to top Go down

Post by AOE_Fan Wed 14 Aug 2013 - 1:09

I have recently been inspired to make some HC card icons. Yes, didn't see this coming, eh?

Random K&B Updates & In-Team Quotes 8xor Dromon Galleys
Random K&B Updates & In-Team Quotes Iitu Osmanoglu Training
Random K&B Updates & In-Team Quotes Ozao Sublime Porte
AOE_Fan
AOE_Fan
K&B Leader
K&B Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Hillys Wed 14 Aug 2013 - 8:49

Osmanoglu Training Icon is amazing Very Happy 
Hillys
Hillys
Hobilar
Hobilar

Back to top Go down

Post by AOE_Fan Sun 18 Aug 2013 - 7:57

Back with more quotes!!

Could you imagine Farmers named as "Peasants" and Peasants named as "Serfs" in K&B? I can't...
Also, rename the farmer to peasant, and peasant to serf.
OP feature of the year: Free berries for everyone? grinning 
Beguinage: Instead of the Church, the Flemish have the Beguinage. It can train the Beguine (instead of priest) which can heal and gather from farms and berry bushes. She can also plant Berry Bushes for 30 coin each.
AOE_Fan
AOE_Fan
K&B Leader
K&B Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Pepp Sun 18 Aug 2013 - 11:53

Haha, we all love berries.
Pepp
Pepp

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoop Thrower Sun 18 Aug 2013 - 12:51

Couldn't you decide a balanced cost for the berries by making a comparison with how much it costs to create and how many resources an orchard brings? Though that then creates the question, why would you want to have a villager that makes berries...

I also wonder, what was the problem with the original Sublime Porte card image?

And I still kinda want to see Kontors for however represents the Hanseatic League in this mod. Neutral 

Yeah, yeah, I know, I complain much...
Hoop Thrower
Hoop Thrower
Modding Councillor
Modding Councillor

Back to top Go down

Post by AOE_Fan Sun 18 Aug 2013 - 19:08

The Manor food gathering upgrades already increase gather rates for both Orchards and Berry Bushes so:
1. The gather rates would be almost the same and there's not a really good reason for two buildable makeshift food sources. I.e. plantable berry bushes wouldn't bring anything new to the game.
2. The Flemish have different focuses already, these quotes are over 2 years old.

I also wonder, what was the problem with the original Sublime Porte card image?
That there was no image? The amount of needed icons has been very large as we can't really use many of the original Aoe3 icons...
AOE_Fan
AOE_Fan
K&B Leader
K&B Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by AOE_Fan Fri 13 Dec 2013 - 3:35

I played as Italians against two computer controlled Crusaders on Hard and got pretty much crushed quite early in the game. I really like how the AI is turning out to be, yet I'm not so happy for not winning early single game... grinning 

Yeah, there has been a lot more progress lately compared to previous weeks. Smile
AOE_Fan
AOE_Fan
K&B Leader
K&B Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Pepp Sat 14 Dec 2013 - 23:46

Report for everyone: Torturing Texturing department back to life!
Pepp
Pepp

Back to top Go down

Post by super7700 Sun 15 Dec 2013 - 7:24

Great news, hopefully we can see some new textures soon!
super7700
super7700
Edessan Auxilliary
Edessan Auxilliary

Back to top Go down

Post by Pepp Sun 15 Dec 2013 - 18:46

From now on, folks will have another spotlight from K&B. So, Pepp humbly announce for you:

Today in the Medieval Time
Another nunnic way to advertise the mod

15 December in the history:
1256 – The Hashshashin stronghold at Alamut in present-day Iran was captured and destroyed by Hulagu Khan and the Mongols.

Hashshashin, also known as Assassin, is one of a few Barbarian soldiers portrayed in K&B. Don't like the other barbarian soldiers which can be trained to a band, Hashshashin limited to just 1. His act is similar to Spy and is quite notorious for being lethal. Player can find him in most Middle Eastern maps.

Mongols will be released in the next Quintessence. Currently, Mongol is the only civ which has its own culture. Most thing about this civ is still a secret for now...
Pepp
Pepp

Back to top Go down

Post by ACN45trooper Mon 16 Dec 2013 - 8:09

Pepp wrote:Mongols will be released in the next Quintessence. Currently, Mongol is the only civ which has its own culture. Most thing about this civ is still a secret for now...
I was going to ask something:

Which are the CULTURES (no civs) of K&B Quintessesce?
ACN45trooper
ACN45trooper
Edessan Auxilliary
Edessan Auxilliary

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeot407 Mon 16 Dec 2013 - 8:58

Our civsets? Well, we've effectively got four; European, Muslim, Crusading and Steppe.

peugeot407
peugeot407
peugeot407
K&B Founder
K&B Founder

http://twitter.com/rjfaber91

Back to top Go down

Post by Pepp Tue 17 Dec 2013 - 1:12

16 December in the history:

1431 – Hundred Years' War: Henry VI of England is crowned King of France at Notre Dame in Paris.

Similar to AOK, England and France in K&B are set somewhat around the Hundred Years' War era. And while English personification doesn't came from the era, most of the concept in the civ inspired from that era instead of the era from the personification (haha).

France, however, is set almost to 100% at the Hundred Years' War era. This includes bonus, units, and personification. You may start guessing who is it, but we won't answer till the quintessence release.

But, Anglophiles and Hunchbacks might be disappointed, as these civs won't be released in near.
Pepp
Pepp

Back to top Go down

Post by ACN45trooper Tue 17 Dec 2013 - 2:22

peugeot407 wrote:Our civsets? Well, we've effectively got four; European, Muslim, Crusading and Steppe.

peugeot407

Let me guess:

Europeans: France, England, Flemish, Vikings, Germans,Slavs, Spanish, Byzantines, Italians
Muslims: Turks, Sarracens, Moors
Crusading: Crusaders
Steppe: Mongols.

Pepp wrote:France, however, is set almost to 100% at the Hundred Years' War era. This includes bonus, units, and personification. You may start guessing who is it, but we won't answer till the quintessence release.

Hmmmm, Charles VII? Will Joan of Arc Appear?

ACN45trooper
ACN45trooper
Edessan Auxilliary
Edessan Auxilliary

Back to top Go down

Post by AOE_Fan Tue 17 Dec 2013 - 5:10

Germans and Spanish will belong to the Crusading civset, actually.
AOE_Fan
AOE_Fan
K&B Leader
K&B Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by ACN45trooper Tue 17 Dec 2013 - 7:50

AOE_Fan wrote:Germans and Spanish will belong to the Crusading civset, actually.

Ok, wait....Why Germans?
ACN45trooper
ACN45trooper
Edessan Auxilliary
Edessan Auxilliary

Back to top Go down

Post by AOE_Fan Tue 17 Dec 2013 - 8:00

Well, they both took part in multiple Crusades.
AOE_Fan
AOE_Fan
K&B Leader
K&B Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next