thasdasdas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Prologue pre-Release Discussion Thread

+7
Synecdoche
Nosferatu
Alexastor
AOE_Fan
Hoop Thrower
danielpereira
peugeot407
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Prologue pre-Release Discussion Thread Empty The Prologue pre-Release Discussion Thread

Post by peugeot407 Tue 5 Mar 2013 - 11:27

There seemingly was a need for this thread, and I'm only too happy to create it. All your questions or comments about the imminent release of the Prologue can be posted and discussed here. Fire away!

peugeot407
peugeot407
peugeot407
K&B Founder
K&B Founder

http://twitter.com/rjfaber91

Back to top Go down

The Prologue pre-Release Discussion Thread Empty Re: The Prologue pre-Release Discussion Thread

Post by danielpereira Tue 5 Mar 2013 - 11:52

Will the prologue include that invasion mode ??
danielpereira
danielpereira
Member of a Major Mod
Member of a Major Mod

Back to top Go down

The Prologue pre-Release Discussion Thread Empty Re: The Prologue pre-Release Discussion Thread

Post by Hoop Thrower Tue 5 Mar 2013 - 12:45

Will it include working AI?
Hoop Thrower
Hoop Thrower
Modding Councillor
Modding Councillor

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeot407 Tue 5 Mar 2013 - 21:02

It will have a functioning AI, yes. Whether or not the AI will be fully up to our expectations upon the release, I can't say, but it will certainly be able to use all the unique new features that K&B adds, including the new gamemodes. Particularly noteworthy is that Matti actually managed to get the AI to understand and cleverly use the Diplomacy gamemode...

As for Invasion, the Prologue will come with an Invasion version of the Bosphorus map, yes.

peugeot407
peugeot407
peugeot407
K&B Founder
K&B Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AOE_Fan Tue 5 Mar 2013 - 22:11

There's also another map with Invasion mode, Danish Straits, which is already scripted. It doesn't have fitting natives done yet so Bosphorus is indeed the only Prologue map featuring Invasion.

AI certainly knows how to use all the new features (opposite of both NE and WotTA, by looking at their AI files) but I can't say if the AI has actually been improved which of course has been my goal. The AI will surely get updated and patched after release but I don't think it's our weakest point right now.
AOE_Fan
AOE_Fan
K&B Leader
K&B Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexastor Tue 5 Mar 2013 - 22:55

I don't think there's the need to compare the AI to the allegedly not working ones of WotTA and NE. I think KnB is good enough not to need to get down to such childish comparisons.

About the release I really don't know what to expect. What civs are in again? Have we seen all building sets yet? What about siege units? There's so much stuff we haven't seen yet. I think you should show us KnB's best that we haven't seen yet in the Friday updates.

Alexastor
Modding Councillor
Modding Councillor

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeot407 Tue 5 Mar 2013 - 23:00

But there would be nothing left to discover when playing the Prologue for the first time, Alex! Razz

The five civs that will be in the Prologue have featured in many past Friday Updates though, and even though these five civs only require two buildingsets, at least some buildings from both of them have been shown. Siege units are indeed something that we haven't talked about a lot yet, and we might, given that it's really quite different than in unmodded AoE3...

peugeot407
peugeot407
peugeot407
K&B Founder
K&B Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AOE_Fan Tue 5 Mar 2013 - 23:08

I guess I could write a Update of how Crusading and Muslim civs work, similar to previous update about features of European culture. Smile
AOE_Fan
AOE_Fan
K&B Leader
K&B Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosferatu Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 7:20

AIs can build walls?
Nosferatu
Nosferatu
Peasant
Peasant

Back to top Go down

Post by AOE_Fan Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 9:17

Of course, that's really basic stuff.
AOE_Fan
AOE_Fan
K&B Leader
K&B Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosferatu Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 10:48

yeah, but I hope to shoot a catapult, not destroyed half my army as age 2 :lol:
Nosferatu
Nosferatu
Peasant
Peasant

Back to top Go down

Post by Synecdoche Sat 9 Mar 2013 - 2:23

Siege bombardments will have a lessened impact on battles (for most civilisations Wink) than it did in AoE2 or AoE3, don't worry. That isn't to say that properly micromanaged artillery won't be at all useful in the open field, though archers or knights will still be better suited for the anti-infantry task in most cases.
Synecdoche
Synecdoche
K&B Team Member
K&B Team Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tilanus Commodor Thu 14 Mar 2013 - 2:02

I need to agree with Alex here. What I know for sure is that KnB will have great art stuff and maps, plus a working AI, but I really lack a fundamental understanding of the civs, techtrees and how the features merge into all that.
Tilanus Commodor
Tilanus Commodor
Modding Councillor
Modding Councillor

http://www.ne.elpea.net

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeot407 Thu 14 Mar 2013 - 7:38

Oh, have our continual Friday Updates done so little? Wink

In all seriousness though, we are preparing a number of additional entries to the Handbook, as well as some more user-friendly versions of civ outlines, which we'll post as soon as we release.

peugeot407
peugeot407
peugeot407
K&B Founder
K&B Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexastor Thu 14 Mar 2013 - 10:03

Not if they're scattered over a couple of years (on several websites) with a lot of changes going on and lots of useless posts in between.

Alexastor
Modding Councillor
Modding Councillor

Back to top Go down

Post by Synecdoche Thu 14 Mar 2013 - 17:14

If the posts in between bother you, we've made an effort at cleaning and organizing that goes back several months at least: http://www.knightsandbarbarians.com/f16-the-town-crier
Synecdoche
Synecdoche
K&B Team Member
K&B Team Member

Back to top Go down

Post by posionrun Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 6:54

Will it have a new nation selection system? Like when you select a nation it will have its name instead of its homecity? and if so will they work with all game-modes, or will we have to make new ones like before?
posionrun
posionrun
Peasant
Peasant

Back to top Go down

Post by AOE_Fan Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 7:22

The HC selection is still the same so you don't need to make new ones for new game modes. The new game modes are restricted to certain maps though, but it's possible to make all maps support Diplomacy if there's a request for it...
AOE_Fan
AOE_Fan
K&B Leader
K&B Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Vvv Sat 30 Mar 2013 - 3:59

The prologe will have compatibility with Steam, right?
Vvv
Vvv
Voulgier
Voulgier

Back to top Go down

Post by Synecdoche Sat 30 Mar 2013 - 4:19

Vvv wrote:The prologe will have compatibility with Steam, right?
I play Prologue through Steam, so in that respect, I can guarantee that it will work! I'm not exactly sure if the multiplayer works through ESO, however.
Synecdoche
Synecdoche
K&B Team Member
K&B Team Member

Back to top Go down

Post by checanos Sat 30 Mar 2013 - 5:10

What is the race-track-thing about? I know it is similar to the fire pit from the warchiefs but what is its background?
checanos
checanos
Peasant
Peasant

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeot407 Sat 30 Mar 2013 - 5:18

The idea is based on the immense popularity of horse racing in the Middle East during our timeline, the idea being that if people turn up en masse to view a sporting event, you can manipulate these crowds to do different things in their day-to-day lives, so it's possible to set the Race Track to things like "Encourage Hospitality" (increases poplimit) or "Encourage Enlistment" (unique for the Turks, spawns Bashis).

peugeot407
peugeot407
peugeot407
K&B Founder
K&B Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AOE_Fan Sat 30 Mar 2013 - 8:42

A little Easter present for everyone: The new civilization creation UI.

The Prologue pre-Release Discussion Thread Civcreator

Indeed, each civ has a duplicate of itself, which allows having two players with same civs in one game. We hope you enjoy this nice bonus feature we put in! Wink
AOE_Fan
AOE_Fan
K&B Leader
K&B Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoop Thrower Sat 30 Mar 2013 - 10:16

That makes me wonder, how did you make duplicates of the muslim civs so the race track thingy shows on the UI of all of them?
Hoop Thrower
Hoop Thrower
Modding Councillor
Modding Councillor

Back to top Go down

Post by AOE_Fan Sat 30 Mar 2013 - 10:25

We decided to get rid of the number of dancers in UI completely, as it felt a bit unnecessary.
AOE_Fan
AOE_Fan
K&B Leader
K&B Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next