thasdasdas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mandos cracked the game engine and solved replace texture bug?

+3
Pepp
Mandos
dietermoreno
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mandos cracked the game engine and solved replace texture bug? Empty Mandos cracked the game engine and solved replace texture bug?

Post by dietermoreno Sun 7 Jul 2013 - 6:07

Did Mandos crack the game engine and solve the replace texture bug?

Here is his post that makes me think that:

http://impmod.blogspot.ro/search?updated-max=2013-03-07T20:17:00%2B02:00&max-results=5&start=5&by-date=false
dietermoreno
dietermoreno
Enemy of the Realm
Enemy of the Realm

https://www.youtube.com/dietermoreno

Back to top Go down

Mandos cracked the game engine and solved replace texture bug? Empty Re: Mandos cracked the game engine and solved replace texture bug?

Post by Mandos Sun 7 Jul 2013 - 6:16

It says "POSSIBLE FIX"... So no, I did not. I made a lot of research and testing with a friend and we seemed to have fixed it but we did not. If anything we slightly improved the time it gets for textures to revert.

If anyone else did, I mean K&B uses fully re-textured models, please share it with us noobs.
Mandos
Mandos
Modding Councillor
Modding Councillor

http://impmod.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Mandos cracked the game engine and solved replace texture bug? Empty Re: Mandos cracked the game engine and solved replace texture bug?

Post by Pepp Tue 9 Jul 2013 - 1:20

Those are new models mandos, thus their texture are new too and don't contain replacetexture tags, except if they are reused.
Pepp
Pepp

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandos Tue 9 Jul 2013 - 7:03

More than half of the units peugeot showcases in his Friday Updates are not new models you intelligent piece of pepp, they are normal, old models re-textured.
Again talking about something you have absolutely no idea of. The hats and guns might be new models but the horses and riders are old.
Mandos
Mandos
Modding Councillor
Modding Councillor

Back to top Go down

Post by Pepp Tue 9 Jul 2013 - 12:27

You are retarded. You don't get what I mean there.

There are plenty attachments which are new models, Sir. There are also some building which are new too. Those things help our mod avoid the bug a bit. And while we can't avoid the bug to happen on normal building and unit (it happened to me in age IV), the few number of building we have and our policies helped us.

If you want to know, some building which have 2 texture in AOE III only have 1 here, say strictly school and blacksmith.
Pepp
Pepp

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandos Tue 9 Jul 2013 - 23:45

I said units not buildings! I know you also have new building models, but we were talking about units, soldiers, you genius.
Mandos
Mandos
Modding Councillor
Modding Councillor

Back to top Go down

Post by Pepp Wed 10 Jul 2013 - 14:03

We do have one, but sadly they are retextured too. (read: catapult)
Pepp
Pepp

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandos Thu 11 Jul 2013 - 9:38

I know about the catapult, I know about the trebuchet. I was not talking about them, I was talking about soldiers, not siege units!

And I don't even care anymore, AoE3 modding has come to a stand still. Yeah, you can make everything as pretty as you can but at the end of the day mechanics are more important than looks, and AoE3 mechanics are unchangeable to fit other play styles, no matter how much you try.
The fact that this is an ancient conversion mod yet you still use cannon models and mechanics proves my point.
Mandos
Mandos
Modding Councillor
Modding Councillor

Back to top Go down

Post by AOE_Fan Thu 11 Jul 2013 - 10:16

Umm, no-one here is changing the play style of Aoe3 nor there is need to. Your reasoning doesn't make sense either, you are saying that you can make things pretty although it doesn't matter, but you still complain about cannon models?
AOE_Fan
AOE_Fan
K&B Leader
K&B Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandos Thu 11 Jul 2013 - 10:26

How can you say you're not trying to change the play style when you're stepping away from a gunpowder focused combat to a sword and arrows one?

And you can re-texture the cannons on Forts as much as you want, just because you replaced the cannon ball with a huge arrow doesn't mean it won't act like a cannon any more. That's mechanics.
You only re-textured the cannon and made it shot arrows, but it still looks and feels like a 17 century cannon.
Mandos
Mandos
Modding Councillor
Modding Councillor

Back to top Go down

Post by Synecdoche Thu 11 Jul 2013 - 11:08

What do you mean, Mandos? We can't do AoK arrow showers, and siege engines were extensively used in the defense of fortifications in the Middle Ages. These engines were perfectly capable of hurting several people with one projectile. All checks out to me for using a ballista on the Castle. You seem to be complaining that K&B is a modification, but that's all we ever claimed to be working toward. We recreate Middle Ages conflict in an AoE3 game framework, and add or redesign things that we feel make the game more fun or interesting. That's what we have done here and what we will do here, don't know why you're expecting anything else.
Synecdoche
Synecdoche
K&B Team Member
K&B Team Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Pepp Thu 11 Jul 2013 - 12:43

If you don't like it, just forget it, don't play it, and go away. It is as easy as that.
Pepp
Pepp

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandos Fri 12 Jul 2013 - 3:04

Did I say that you didn't do right? No. Did I say I don't like it? No. And I'm not complaining of K&B being a modification, what??? That doesn't even make sense...
I only said that instead of trying to make things that were designed for 17-18 century gameplay work for medieval/ancient gameplay you should remove them completely and work only with what fits the medieval style. A cannon does not fit a medieval style. That was only a suggestion.

A ballista is not a cannon! A cannot should not pretend to fire a ballista. I'm not telling how to do your job, I don't care enough to even try, I only tried to prove my point of how AoE3 modding came to a stand still, that is all.

Read carefully and stop being offended for nothing.
Mandos
Mandos
Modding Councillor
Modding Councillor

Back to top Go down

Post by Pepp Fri 12 Jul 2013 - 3:15

Stop being off topic. dietermoreno didn't make this topic for that.

Pepp
Pepp

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandos Fri 12 Jul 2013 - 3:50

pepp, look back at the beginning of this thread and see who was first to go off-topic.

YOU!

I just answered your message. This is what happens when you open your mouth pepp.
Mandos
Mandos
Modding Councillor
Modding Councillor

Back to top Go down

Post by Synecdoche Fri 12 Jul 2013 - 7:21

Mandos wrote:Did I say that you didn't do right? No. Did I say I don't like it? No. And I'm not complaining of K&B being a modification, what??? That doesn't even make sense...
I only said that instead of trying to make things that were designed for 17-18 century gameplay work for medieval/ancient gameplay you should remove them completely and work only with what fits the medieval style. A cannon does not fit a medieval style. That was only a suggestion.

A ballista is not a cannon! A cannot should not pretend to fire a ballista. I'm not telling how to do your job, I don't care enough to even try, I only tried to prove my point of how AoE3 modding came to a stand still, that is all.

Read carefully and stop being offended for nothing.
I'm not offended, just a bit confused. We have many forms of cannon in K&B, actually, but besides that point, I don't see the problem with the castle. The barrel protrusions have been retextured to a wooden ballista chute, since we can't add traditional crossbars. That style of arrow-thrower was also used in the Middle Ages though, since springalds often were given long "barrels" and did not look at all like traditional ballistae or scorpios. It seems to me like you're getting extremely annoyed with a tiny detail that only you are bothered by. Siege engines with barrels or some other form of accuracy-increasing length are not a 17th century innovation at all. It's like criticizing the modding community for not having perfectly accurate windlasses on our crossbows.
Synecdoche
Synecdoche
K&B Team Member
K&B Team Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandos Fri 12 Jul 2013 - 19:05

Yes, I am annoyed by "tinny details", because beauty my fellow modder who knows more than me, is in details.

Can you please show me some historical evidence of ballistas fired from barrels or cannons or whatever?
Mandos
Mandos
Modding Councillor
Modding Councillor

Back to top Go down

Post by AOE_Fan Fri 12 Jul 2013 - 19:12

I disagree, I think beauty is in solid gameplay and not in details, so you can stop asking us to remove cannons from Castle...
AOE_Fan
AOE_Fan
K&B Leader
K&B Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandos Sat 13 Jul 2013 - 1:59

Well then you disagree with peugeot as well because he is a man who loves and almost forces details, as I've seen many times.
Mandos
Mandos
Modding Councillor
Modding Councillor

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeot407 Sat 13 Jul 2013 - 4:33

I'd rather they'd be gone as well, but we've got to make do with what we've got...

peugeot407
peugeot407
peugeot407
K&B Founder
K&B Founder

http://twitter.com/rjfaber91

Back to top Go down

Mandos cracked the game engine and solved replace texture bug? Empty An Idea to Lessen the Effects of the Replace Texture Bug Without New Models

Post by dietermoreno Mon 5 Aug 2013 - 8:37

I have noticed that the replace texture bug is the worst when the most texture changes occur at once.

For example, I tried making my riflemen automatically upgrade texture on age up, but all that accomplished was the rifleman reverting back to the vanilla texture; however, if the upgrade is a tech that is researched after age up, the correct texture shows.

Maybe no one else thought of this because no one else is as obsessed with historically accurate uniforms as me.

but what if we had a tech X that enabled by the age up tech, the tech X would activate a tech Y in 30 seconds time, and the tech Y is what changes the texture.  Such things could be done for buildings too, with it all planned so that the buildings all automatically upgrade texture in 30 seconds intervals after each other.

Is such a thing possible with triggers?

If such thing is possible, we will have found a work around for replace texture bug.

We wouldn't have solved the problem, but we would have found a way around it.

I have come to the conclusion that the only way to trully solve the replace texture bug is to use a new model for every upgrade texture, which is too much work, and some trigger script would be much faster.

If it was possible, we could experiment with time values to see how much time is needed. Maybe we could get down to as little as 1.0 second.

All we would be doing is a sort of time division multiplex of the graphic card's bandwidth. That is, the graphics card has a finite amount of bandwidth, and we divide it into time slots and assign different upgrade textures to different time slots so we can use the same amount of bandwidth for many different upgrade textures just at different times.

Its like you have 500 people trying to leave an auditorium out of one 3 foot wide door, and you could either have them all attempt to leave at once in chaos, or you could have them form a single file line out the door so that all will pass, just all will pass at different discrete times from each other.
dietermoreno
dietermoreno
Enemy of the Realm
Enemy of the Realm

Back to top Go down

Post by AOE_Fan Mon 5 Aug 2013 - 8:46

It doesn't matter whether the unit has changing textures or not, as they can still be affected by the replacetexture bug.
AOE_Fan
AOE_Fan
K&B Leader
K&B Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandos Mon 5 Aug 2013 - 9:20

Wait wut? So, the Musketeer, with his default skins, can experience the texture bug...?
In all the years I played and modded this has never happened, only to those who use the "replacetexture" codes.
Mandos
Mandos
Modding Councillor
Modding Councillor

Back to top Go down

Post by dietermoreno Mon 5 Aug 2013 - 9:36

Mandos wrote:Wait wut? So, the Musketeer, with his default skins, can experience the texture bug...?
In all the years I played and modded this has never happened, only to those who use the "replacetexture" codes.

You make no sense AOE Fan.

Perhaps could you explain further?
dietermoreno
dietermoreno
Enemy of the Realm
Enemy of the Realm

Back to top Go down

Post by AOE_Fan Mon 5 Aug 2013 - 9:53

Obviously I meant units with the replacetexture tag. What I actually meant that "UpdateVisual" tag has nothing to do with the problem so timing the texture changes of aging up shouldn't help a bit.

@dietermoreno: At least I won't use sentences with over 40 or so words in them... Razz

- Merged the topoc with existing one that is similar.
AOE_Fan
AOE_Fan
K&B Leader
K&B Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next